Our JE forged pistons included wire locks for floating pin securing.
The wire locks are installed by working your way around the lock with a small screwdriver.
A nice option for wire lock installation is Lockintool's W-927 installation tool. It takes some getting used to but, once you develop the knack, it's a real time saver.
Here's a closeup of an installed wire lock. JE recommends tapping the pin against the lock to ensure proper seating.
Since our pin bores intersect the oil ring groove, an oil ring support rail is required (included in the piston ring set for our slugs). The support rail is installed with its male dimple facing down, facing into the pin bore area. If the rail tries to rotate, this dimple will stop the rail at either side of the opening.
Here's a side view of a pin and support rail. Obviously, make sure that you install the pin and wire locks before installing the support rail.
Our rod bearings are MAHLE Clevite Tri Armor coated units.
Instead of using a traditional wrapped-barrel style piston ring compressor, I used Summit's adjustable billet compressor, which worked like a charm.
With the piston and ring package inserted into the compressor (and a bit of piston skirt exposed at the bottom), each piston slid into its bore with minimal effort, without a single hang-up.
I tightened our Lunati 7/16" rod bolts using the stretch method. I first indexed the Gear Head Tools stretch gauge on each bolt (zeroing the gauge at the bolt free length).
As each rod bolt was tightened, I monitored bolt stretch until I achieved the recommended 0.0050-0.0054" stretch range. If you prefer to torque instead of tighten-by-stretch, the spec for these bolts is 80-85 lbs./ft.
Assembled rod sideplay measured at 0.011" on each rod pin, a real testament to Lunati's precision machining of both their rods and cranks.
As mentioned in our last issue, I needed to grind a bit of clearance at the bottom of each cylinder for rod bolt clearance (due our 4.000" stroke). This took only a few minutes. Naturally, the block was properly washed before assembly began.
Notice the close fit of the crank's timing reluctor wheel. It clears but it's admittedly scaring looking at first.
I used our Foster Tools' cam lift checking gauge to verify our 0.367" lobe lift.
The Foster lift checker features a spring-loaded plunger that glides across the lobes.
Our ARP cylinder head stud kit included primary studs (11mm bottom threads and 7/16" top threads), 8mm upper studs, and washers and nuts.